Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Peter Sterling's Grand Final Week Diary


Saturday 26 Sep, 2:25am.
Can’t sleep. Too excited! Has it really been 23 years since we made a grand final? Oh, that’s right, friggin ’01 and Joey on his pills. But still – what a win! And what really gladdens my heart is that it wasn’t just Hayne tonight – although as usual, he was breathtaking. I know Steve Ella will kill me for moving his poster to the laundry, but there just isn’t any space left now and Hayne has to be there. Has to. The Dogs came out breathing fire, but by the end our class shone through. Bring on the Storm/Broncos! Oh sh**, did I remember to thank our entire Wide World of Sports Team and wish everyone a good night? Of course I did…. Now where are those sleeping pills I scored off the Maroons?

Sunday 27 Sep, 9:30am.
Christ, only 15 minutes before I have to head to the studio but I can’t get the Storm out of my head. They looked very impressive last night. Oh well, this is about as good as a Sunday footy show gets for me. Analysing a Parra win (over the Dogs!) that saw them through to the Grand Final. I wonder what news Tim Sheridan will bring today?

Monday 28 Sep, 7:30pm.
Man, Grand Final week is going too slowly. I can’t wait! I’m relieved that Hayne didn’t get suspended, but if I know the football gods – and I do – this only means something else is gonna turn up later and ram horrible destiny up our clackers. Keep it together, Sterlo. Just focus on dinner and preparing your analysis for Sunday.

Tuesday 29 Sep, 3:30pm.
Just had the best round of golf in my life. Not only did I get a hole in one (1 – that’s Jarryd Hayne’s number! Could it be a sign?), but Rabs and the Fat were awful. I feel a lot calmer than the last few days. This week is working out quite well if I do say so myself.

Wednesday 30 Sep, 12:25pm.
So many things are racing through my head right now, but if I freeze my thoughts right there… well there’s the excitement, obviously. What if we win? Can I run down from the commentary box for hugs? I won’t be able to keep it together, that’s for sure. But there’s also a horrible dread feeling – what if we lose? In a way, I’m more scared of a close loss. A big loss would allow every Eels fan to keep the Inferiority Complex security blanket that’s cloaked us the last 20 years. A close loss would mean that we were almost there but threw another f***ing grand final away. Keep it together Sterlo. What will Hayne do? What wil Moi Moi do? Will Inglis show up? You know that Slater will show up. As will Ringo. Cameron Smith, he always shows up, and he’ll be determined to rectify his tragic situation last year. Looking forward to the Grand Final breakfast tomorrow, I hope they have hash browns.

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha I was starting to wonder if you thought the season was finished already. Sterlo's thoughts are very interesting, I wonder what Fitzy is thinking/feeling this week?

    Who do I want to win? Very tough question, my team is gone, they are all gone except probably the two teams most disliked by my kind (Manly fans). So I want the game to be the winner. In golden point. A very narrow win for the game - over the officials.

    I want no thought for self-preservation. I want passion and choreography. I want drama, I want breathtaking skill, I want excitement, I want a grandstand finish. I do not want controversy but really I probably do, it is in the fabric of the game (denim).

    Above all else I hope someone takes out Billy Slater the way Brett Stewart was taken out in the 2007 decider. I know I'm greedy but is that too much to hope for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats It!.I'm taking my Inferiority Complex security blanket and going home. As much as I would like to see BIlly Slater taken out Patten style..... I can't remember a time when the Kid has been injured. He is Bruce Willis in Unbreakable. That said take out Ringo and it is all over.

    ReplyDelete