Monday, August 17, 2009

The Best Fan Writing

In what I hope to be a regular installment, we'll be sharing some writing by regular league fans from time to time here at League Blog. Today's entry comes from Bob Dog over at the Kennel, which sets the bar for league forums (but not blogs).

Let the games begin
Its coming close to that time of year, where we are looking very favorable, St George have just lost and we have just won.
I think it may be a Parra vs Bulldogs G.F, but Canberra and Manly are looking good too.
I have had many personal insults leveled at me in a bid to upset me, my family and my club. These people have no right to use the Bulldogs club in this way.
The Dogs have a right to compete in this national competition fairly and have a fair shot at the GF, god help anyone who stands in their way

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, posting this reminds me of one piece of fan writing brought to my attention by G Man some months ago. It's from Abu Dro Haj Yussef and was posted at the SMH league forum. Too good to be true? Perhaps. Here it is, in full:

    1. Craig Fitzgiben
    2. Isac Luke
    3. Bret kimmorly
    4. Michael Ennis
    5. Ben hannent
    6. Cooper Cronk
    7. Wilie Mason
    8. Braith Anaster
    9. Luke Patten
    10. Matt Cooper
    11. John Sutton
    12. Isac Degoise
    13. Ben Roberts
    14. Hazem Elmasri
    15. Willie Tonga
    16. Bret Morris
    17. Jaryd Hayne
    18. Mitchel Pierce

    This is my frend you call what is the dreem teem of new south wales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this one... this team works for me on so many levels. Firstly, I like that for a NSW team he has listed 3 Queenslanders and 2 kiwis (and one fish-head eating Fijian). I also like the balance of 3 half-backs, 3 hookers, 3 five-eights, and one prop. I like that he knows that Bret Morris is better than Josh Morris. And I especially like the fact that he picked Mitchel Pierce as 18th man in a 17-man team. GM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob Dog. Your comment evokes an indiscernible je ne sais quoi. I should qualify that, it really is a discernible je ne sais quoi but I just can’t quite put my finger on what it is that I discern. Could it be a small paranoia? Although I accept that in Bulldogland it is reasonable to believe people are out to get you, and also out to deprive your team of a fair shot. However, all in all the most disturbing aspect of your piece by far is the inclusion of the word ‘Canberra’ in a sentence about who might make the GF. Nice effort though.

    The item from Abu is in a different category. Of course it is easy to make fun of Abu’s team. It is far easier to be a critic than to be the one who offers up fresh ideas. To any of you who would snigger at Abu - I say you (Jerry) are a bad man, a very, very, bad man.

    ReplyDelete